Definitive Technology DI 5.5R
You want great sound everywhere in your home, but you may not always have room for or want the visual intrusion of free-standing speakers.
Built-in flushmount speakers seem to be the answer but in practice they don't exactly disappear in the room, in fact many "in-wall" speakers call attention to themselves and create friction between your decorator and your audiophile sensibilities.
Worse yet, most built-in speakers fall short on the performance end as well. Would Definitive allow you to suffer with bad sound? Oh no, no, no! Definitive’s Disappearing™ In-Wall series speakers feature near-invisibility thanks to their small diameters, hidden flange design, and low profile micro-perf grilles.
They are as easy to install as traditional flanged flush-mount speakers, and don’t require custom sheetrock/spackle skills to install yet they are practically invisible. The DI 5.5R grille is a mere 7-3/8" (18.62cm)in diameter, about the same visible size as competitive nominal 5-1/4" in-ceiling speakers. With Definitive's DI Series you get more sound per square inch of visible speaker.
Buying from an authorized dealer has many benefits such as valid warranty coverage on your purchase and peace of mind.
- Flangeless design & micro-perf grille minimize visibility
- Simple to install — no spackle work required
7-3/8" (18.62cm)visible diameter is noticable smaller than competing nominal 6-1/2" models
- Perfect for use as side/rear surround speakers in home theater systems
- Latest generation BDSS drivers for audiophile-grade sound quality
- Pivoting Pure Aluminum dome tweeters
- Axially Aligned design ensures broad, balanced coverage area
- GaussGrip™ magnetic grille fasteners
- Adjustable high-definition crossover
- Optional fire-rated enclosures
- Cast PolyStone™ baskets for rigidity without “ringing”
- Outer flange (grille) diameter | Metric :7-3/8" | 18.62 cm
- Cut out diameter | Metric :6-5/16" | 16 cm
- Depth from flange | Metric :3-5/8" | 9.04 cm
- Driver complement :1-inch (25mm) pivoting Aluminum dome tweeter axially aligned with a 5-1/4" (13.3 cm) BDSS bass/midrange driver
- Frequency response :28Hz - 30kHz
- Impedance :4 - 8 Ohms
- Sensitivity :89 dB
- Recommended associated amplifier power :10 - 175 WPC
- Inputs :One pair of gold plated heavy-duty spring-loaded terminals
- Available finishes :Paintable white (see manual for painting instructions)
- Packaging :One speaker per carton
- Warranty :5 years
- Weight | Metric :3.7 lb. | 1.67kg each
About Definitive Technology
Definitive Technology has been committed to building superior sounding home audio and home theater loudspeakers since 1990, when the company was founded by Sandy Gross, Don Givogue and Ed Blais—lifelong audiophiles and experts in speaker design, acoustics and marketing. Definitive Technology loudspeakers are among the most positively reviewed and most often honored high performance loudspeakers on the market as well as being the best-selling premium home loudspeakers in the US.
Since its inception, Definitive has won an astounding number of awards and over-the-top enthusiastic reviews from Consumer Electronics industry associations as well as leading audio/video print magazines and websites. Frankly there are too many to list them all here but the photo on this page gets the point across.
Most recently a speaker system consisting of Definitive Technology Mythos STS SuperTowers, Mythos Nine center and Mythos Gem surrounds was awarded Sound & Vision magazine’s “Audio Product of the Year;” not merely “Speaker of the Year” but “Audio Product of the Year.” The system also won SoundStage!.com’s 2008 Reviewer’s Choice Award for Aesthetics and Sound. Home Theater magazine called the STS system “Crisp, Lush, Focused” and tagged it with a coveted Top Pick award. The STS also took home two Innovations Design and Engineering awards at CES 2009, one for High Performance Audio and the other for Home Theater Speakers. One industry award is an honor, five is a sweep.
View all Definitive Technology items
Manuals and Brochures
Manual Information Examples
...into adjacent rooms.
Definitive Technology Di Series Loudspeakers
give you nearly endless .... But remember that placement choice for your in-wall speakers
bears careful consideration, as installation
requires that you cut a...
,... Your Disappearing
Please Inspect For Shipping Damage
leaves.... Please unpack your system
carefully. Save all cartons and packing materials...
... or tools, contact your Definitive Technology dealer
, general contractor or a professional installer
Aiming the ... direction [Figure 6]. When using Di Series
as front/main home theater speakers
or as stereo speakers
• Make sure the material into which you plan to mount
(plaster, drywall,... not conceal studs, electrical wiring or plumbing. Prior to installation
, hold the speaker
on in your chosen location to make sure ...
your Di Series
, be aware of the ...way to install
, consult a professional installer
, your authorized Definitive Technology dealer
, or a building contractor.
... Length Total Depth * Mounting
** Woofer Tweeter Product Weight Frequency Response
Sensitivity Impedance ...or damage to the Product caused by installation
or removal of the Product. Definitive Technology
makes no warranty
with respect to ...
• Place the speaker
carefully into the cutout. If you have a level,... frame. Powerful magnets hold the grille
Lock arm screws. Turn counter... arms tucked in prior to installing speaker
Definitive Technology DI 5.5R Reviews
Post your own Definitive Technology DI 5.5R review!
We have not received any reviews for this item yet.
Be the first to add a review!